As a pioneer in thermoplastic composites (TPC’s), ATC Manufacturing is driving change in the aerospace industry. Parts made from thermoplastic composites are light, high strength, and recyclable – all major benefits over current materials. But in order to replace current popular materials, new parts and production methods using thermoplastic composites have to be developed.
ATC has several in-house experts who have dedicated their careers to advancing the adoption TPC’s through research cooperatives, knowledge-sharing and strategic partnerships. One of those in-house experts is David Leach. David is a leader in the thermoplastic composites field, with 30 years’ experience in polymers, composites and adhesives. He has spent most of his career in thermoplastic composites for aerospace and high performance applications. He has authored over 30 technical papers, two book chapters and he is a Fellow of the UK Institute of Materials.
In 2022, ATC and David have been presenting at industry conferences on innovation in TPC’s. Some recent events they have been honored to speak at include:
- ACMA AAM Technology Days (Air Mobility) where David Leach and Jason Merrifield shared insights on high-rate manufacturing of thermoplastic composite structures.
- JECWorld 2022 composite materials conference showcasing some of the aerospace parts that can be manufactured at ATC, including:
- The opening of Mitsubishi Chemical Advanced Materials Heinsberg facility on ATC’s capabilities around fabrication with #KyronTEX materials
- Thermoplastic Composites Conference (TCC) 2022 where Richard Postera (R&D Manager at ATC), A&P Technology, Inc., and Trevor M. of Solvay presented on aircraft window frame development. David Leach of ATC also moderated this event which is put on by the American Composites Manufacturers Association.
- SAMPE Materials Innovation Forum 2022 where David Leach presented a short course on thermoplastic composites and how they can be used in aerospace manufacturing
Lakeside is proud to support experts like David and industry leader ATC Manufacturing.